Root Cellar - Sacramento Genealogical Society was formed in 1978 when its members found a common interest in the gathering and sharing of genealogical information. Since that time, the goal has been to help our members with genealogical research through education, the publication of information, and the preservation of records. Everyone sharing an interest in genealogy is welcome.
Stan Gilliam of the Sacramento Bee coined the name ROOT CELLAR in his column, and with his permission, it became the official name of the organization. The name and insignia were registered with the California Office of the Secretary of State on August 6, 1979.
The logo was made round because our ancestors come from around the world. The tree shape easily identifies a genealogical society, as it suggests research on family lineage, commonly known as a family tree. We meet here in the valley. The open door and steps strongly hints at stepping through history into a root cellar to discover those genealogical finds of yesteryear. Our roots are important to us; thus the organization serves as a forum to exchange information and aid in tracing our own roots, plus opening doors so others can pursue the ancestral search.
Root Cellar - Sacramento Genealogical Society is an active organization. Here is a peek at what we’re up to:
- Membership meeting every 2nd Wednesday of the month except July and August with a formal program/speaker; visitors welcome; 7pm-8:30pm, Citrus Heights Community Clubhouse, 6921 Sylvan Road, Citrus Heights
- Year-round genealogical workshop every 3rd Wednesday of the month, a hosted yet informal opportunity to get help with your brickwalls; visitors welcome; 1pm-3pm; Merrill Gardens (Garden Square Room), 7418 Stock Ranch Road, Citrus Heights
- Preserves, a quarterly publication and Geni-Gram, an online monthly newsletter
- Genealogy Library housed on the 4th floor, California State Archives
- Extraction Group transcribing local records held at the Center for Sacramento History
- Annual Spring Seminar, save the date for April 9, 2011 featuring Geoff Rasmussen speaking on Legacy genealogical software
- Geni-Dig for members in October, a time to share resources and research with other members looking in the same region
- Look-up volunteers
Root Cellar - Sacramento Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 265
Citrus Heights, CA 95611-0265