It was mid-1987. Dorothy Lazelle Williams was the North Central Valley Region representative to the California State Genealogical Alliance at the time. She met with a small group of representatives from local genealogical organizations to lay the groundwork for the beginning of an umbrella group or council for the Sacramento Valley area. In the Autumn of 1988, the first meeting was held to form the Sacramento Valley Genealogical Council, a name that evolved into the Genealogical and Historical Council of Sacramento Valley.
The Council is comprised of individuals and organizations working together to exchange information, coordinate calendar events, avoid duplication of group projects, and encourage the preservation and accessibility of records of genealogical and historical value. The officers of its inaugural year included Joyce Buckland, Chairperson; Verl Weight, Vice Chairperson; Carol Feige, Secretary; and Elizabeth Kohler, Treasurer. Charles Green of the Sacramento Regional Family History Center designed the logo. Iris Carter Jones was an active committee member.
The mission of the Council is to:
- Provide communication channels for genealogical, historical, cultural and patriotic organizations and libraries.
- Coordinate the scheduling of activities and events by providing a long-range planning calendar.
- Encourage the identification and preservation of records of genealogical and historical importance, and to maintain the accessibility of such records for research.
- Increase public awareness in the educational value of genealogical and historical records and research.
- Promote ethical and professional standards in genealogical and historical research.
Genealogical Association of Sacramento
Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento
Mission Oaks Genealogy Club
Nevada County Genealogical Society
Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum
Placer County Genealogical Society
Root Cellar - Sacramento Genealogical Society
Roots & Gold Dust Genealogical Society
Roseville Genealogical Society
Sacramento German Genealogy Society
Sacramento Public Library
Sacramento Regional LDS Family History Center
Solano County Genealogical Society
Sun City Roseville Genealogy Club
Be sure to visit our exhibit and let us find a
genealogy society "home" for you!
Sacramento Regional Family History Center
2745 Eastern Avenue